True Friendships?

"Be careful who you open up to. Only a few people actually care, the rest are just curious."

It seems like yesterday when I graduated from high school. Things were definitely different. I remember the laughs, the cries, the good times, the bad, and the infamous drama. 

What else can you expect from a bunch of girls with cliques and groups in order to define themselves? I also remember making true friendships, and losing some as well; and this all happened in the course of four years. 


It's definitely inevitable that people change and that high school has to end; but it's different when you actually start walking to the center of the auditorium at the sound of your name to receive your diploma...4 years achievement has finally paid off...university friendships here I come...

When I arrived in university I absolutely loved it. There were so many people it was overwhelming -- but a good type of overwhelming. I loved the diversity, the different personalities, the boys, the classes, the food, the nights out, the nights in, the talks, the figuring out people's true colors and so much more....


Fast forward and I'm entering into my 4th year in Fall. What have I learnt in terms of friendships? I learnt to stop looking. I learnt to stop faking it. I learnt to truly be who I really am. 

I saw that I was surrounded by 20,000 students, and to be honest when I look back I laugh at myself for hanging out with certain groups and trying to be something I wasn't, especially when there were 19, 990 more students in the university! 

"Surly there must be someone like me. Someone who enjoys what I enjoy. Someone who's laid back, loves to laugh, loves to talk about life; someone who I can act crazy with, who can still have a bomb time like there's no tomorrow, someone who knows work and play and perhaps who can get me Ben & Jerry's when a boy breaks my heart."

I entered my Third Year last year thinking that I surely hadn't made my ''friends for life''. There seemed to be this illusion of groups and people partying and going out everyday which they viewed to be the epitome of friendships, fun and life; but for me, friendship meant so so much more.

Don't get me wrong, I will party with you...I will party hard with you...but partying is not all I do.

I finally caught my breath, went to classes, the job, the different activities I participated in school and I finally found my friendship soul mates. :)  

Words cannot express the memories, the laughs, the cries, late nights, the talks that we shared. The wait for it all was worth it. I'm entering my 4th year with the same mind frame I had last year. Why impress people who will be entertained but not pleased? It's not worth it. I'd rather wait for people who I can share my life with and do ''nothing'' with and still call it the best day of my life.

I started this post with the quote below and I will end the post with the same quote to remind you. 

I put it there to say that, just because people are physically there, doesn't mean that they are really there for you as a person. YES people use others for different reasons but that's another story, but what I mean is, and to be frank, TRUE FRIENDSHIPS cannot be with everybody, you do not have 1000 FRIENDS or your top 50 Friends on Facebook are NOT your TRUE FRIENDS.

See who you can trust and who trusts you in return, a friendship is a two way relationship. The rest...those who want to party with you can do so, but if those are the only people you hang out with, there better be someone who will pick up the phone when you need them the most or even just because.


"Be careful who you open up to. Only a few people actually care, the rest are just curious."

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/f/2009/347/b/9/Ponder_ponder_ponder_by_Demon_Dictator_Daka.jpg
http://noupe.com/img/ror3/relationship.jpg 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow My Blog!

Favorite Movies So Far...

  • 500 Days of Summer
  • Diary of a Mad Black Woman
  • I Can Do Bad All By Myself
  • Inception
  • Love & Basketball

Hit Counter